March 19, 2008

Those Doordarshan days!

I don’t know how but the other day suddenly those days came to my mind when only one TV channel existed in India-Doordarshan! Not like the present day when scores of channels are available on a press of a tiny button.

I remember when a huge TV transmission tower in my home-town started beaming first ever signals of the only channel called "Doodarshan", there was only one small black and white TV (months later a coloured screen-half red and half green was put to give an impression of colour TV!) in the Govt colony we use to live. Luckily the proud owner happened to be my friend’s father! Needless to say I use to spend full time watching whatever was shown (even the ones related to agricultural seeds and manure!). Full time here does not mean 24 hrs. There were only morning and evening sessions of three hrs each!

Big crowd used to gather as if it was a cinema hall. The crowd was huge and unmanageable in the small room (many use to b e far away near the entrance, I wonder what they will be able to see!) particularly on the day when it was time for CHITRAHAR, weekly Hindi movie (like Jai Santoshi Maa) on Sunday evenings (saw many old ladies praying in front of TV screen!) etc.

By the time my 2-3 friends' father also purchased TV and the crowd got distributed! Request to my father to purchase one fell in deaf ears as he had apprehension that my studies will be effected. On my insisting that all my friends have TV, which puts me in quite an embarrassing situation, he laughed and said, “ok, v’ll get only an antenna installed on terrace, so that ur friends will think u have TV”! (In those days a big antenna, set in a particular direction, comprising of 2-3 straight and one U-shaped bar was required to receive signals. Many times watching TV was at the mercy of crows and other birds which use to sit and rotate or tilt the antenna thus resulting in "no signal". Antenna then has to be reset in right direction with lot of trial and error to get signal). Finally we purchased TV after almost everybody else in the colony had one!

FOLLOWING ADDED AFTER THE ABOVE LINES WERE PUBLISHED

Also remember people watching those colourful vertical lines patiently waiting for programmes to start. And who will forget that irritating caption “rukawat ke liye khed hai" (meaningsorry for inconvenience caused”). This happened too often and lasted several minutes, even more than half-an hour at times; but people use to stare at screen wondering that only God knows when signal will be back!

9 comments:

Ria Shah said...

aahhh..u lucky guy...finally u got a TV .... this post is funny as well as close to reality..! :d

Satadru said...

We got a TV for ourselves way back in 1979, as far as I can faintly remember.

It was a solid-state Western B&W TV set which had a pair of horizontal ply shutters just like a wooden cupboard.

We were the lucky ones in our locality. Few could afford a TV. And few parents, like mine, had a liberal point of view as far as mixing viewing pleasure and serious studies are concerned!

The most favourite programs that I'd ever watched on that set were Star Trek, Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot, Spiderman, Karam Chand, Humlog, Buniyaad and, of course, Ramayan and Mahabharat, to name just a few.

Like any other Indira-eratechnology, this TV underwent countless repairing sessions. But it remained etched in my memory as one of the enduring symbols of technology which had a profound impact on my childhood and growing up years.

Vee said...

I was also toying with the idea of writing on similar lines when i was talking about the good old krishi Darshans, chitrahaars, ragolis etc with friends and we all had some or the other funny story to share. Now we are spoilt rotten by numerous choices, so much so that I prefer to stay away from the idiot box these days :)

Good post.

Solitaire said...

OMG!!! I had completely forgotten about "rukavat ke liye khed hai".!

alok said...

@ria
thanx for an encouraging comment after a long time
@satadru
thanx for your valuable comments. Me too remember those programs u hv mentioned. Those were different, njoyable days!
@vineeta
thanx for revisiting my blog and leaving a comment after a long time. Plz do say ur friends to hv a look at my blog!
@solitaire
thanx a lot for a visit. Saw many of ur blogs and huge response it receives. Plz do promote my blog amongst ur readers!

Shopno said...

Made me pretty nostalgic. Those were the days. Thanks for such a wonderful post

alok said...

@shopno
thanx for comment after a long time! ur constant encouragement is required, plz do visit more often!

10V said...

Hi...Thanks for visiting my blog...

Appreciate your comment.

We used to have BUSH T.V during those days and our first color tv came in 1996...

It was a day to rejoice...lol

Nice blog. Do keep visiting my blogs..Hope to read more of your stuff too.

alok said...

@Tanvi

thanx a lot for sparing time to post comment.

keep reading